Tuesday, May 12, 2020

What the heck is a Rocketbook?


A Rocketbook is a reusable note book that does a couple of really cool things. First off, it's erasable. You write on it using a Pilot Frixion pen and  you can erase by using a damp cloth. The notebook pages are not paper, they are more like thin plastic.

The thing that makes the Rocketbook super useful is that it has a phone app that snaps a picture of your pages and lets you send them to email or dropbox. It does a pretty good job of character recognition.

If you are artistic (or even if you are not!), you can draw pictures in your Rocketbook.
Rocketbooks come in several sizes. I have both the executive sized one and the pocket sized one.

The one downside to the Rocketbook is that you have to let the ink dry for about 15 seconds or so and in those 15 seconds it's easy to smudge. It's something I've gotten used to, but it is a deal breaker for some folks. I kind of think of the Rocketbook as a bunch of whiteboard pages that I can carry in my pocket.

Another neat thing about the Rocketbook is that all the notes you upload are searchable. Again, the text recognition does a really good job. It's very handy having all my notes searchable on both my phone and the computer.

The Rocketbook is a very handy mix of low and high tech. In day to day use it just feels like using a notebook but those notes can be easily used in emails, blog posts, stories or whatever. Rocketbooks are one of those things I find myself enthusiastically recommending to friends.





2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kent - cool hybrid of handwriting and digital storage. Question: I'm a lefty. I usually smudge my handwriting. Is it "lefty-friendly"? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    I'm a righty and I can see where the smudging issue might be worse for lefties. Keeping my hand upright helps a lot. Another technique that might be of use is having a piece of paper under your hand just below the line you are currently writing.

    ReplyDelete